Translate

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Welcome to the 2018-19 STEAM lab!


Welcome to 2018-19!
I am so eager to get to work in the STEAM lab and cannot wait to see the multitude of ways students will make the bare twigs of my lesson plans grow and develop into a lush and verdant classroom landscape of brilliant blooms and all kinds of exotic fruit!
Part of every summer is a quest for new materials/ ideas for the lab and this year I found El Dorado at the Scratch @ MIT conference and am bringing home marvelous treasure.
3-5 will be starting the year with Scratch de Ogiri. I attended this workshop that explored taking Ogiri, a traditional Japanese game in which you generate witty mini sketches, and using Scratch to create a projected animation to interact with viewers.
The workshops for the integration of various components with the new Scratch 3.0 were fantastic – I can’t wait to see the reaction when the kids learn they can program the Micro:bits in Scratch! They will fall in love with the Hummingbird robotics kits, and I will love how the wrapped wires and sturdy clips will save hours of trying to extract broken pins and wire bits with a pair of tweezers!
The Keynote speakers provided a much-needed infusion of new thinking on the concepts of creativity and making. I am inspired by them and my participation in the Scratch Ed Team’s summer professional development, Getting Unstuck.
I am really excited to tell them how much everyone who attended the workshop I put on with Mr. Quentin from Sinclair ES loved their projects. Attendees from all over the world were so impressed with our Panthers!

No comments:

Post a Comment